Where is Lead in Schuyler County?

Lead Can be found.bmp
Lead Based Paint in Homes in Schuyler County
Older homes are more likely to contain lead based paint. The chances that a house may have lead in it increases if it was made prior to 1978. Homes built prior to 1940 are 87% more likely to have lead based paint. Homes built between 1940 to 1959 are 69% more likely to have lead based paint, while homes built between 1960 to 1977 are 24% more likely to have lead based paint. See chart below for demographics for Schuyler County homes. Find out more on Lead Hazards in the Home.

Schuyler Age of Home_Percent.jpg

Lead in Water Pipes in Schuyler County

The water suppliers in Schuyler County Drinking Water Suppliers are required to routinely test the lead levels in the water.

If your water comes from a household well, water quality testing is important for new drinking water wells in addition to periodic evaluation of existing wells. NY Department of Health has recommended testing parameters for new individual residential water supply wells, listed on the following site:
Individual Water Supply Wells Fact Sheet

Water sampling and monitoring is available through the Schuyler County Watershed Protection Agency

Tips for preventing lead in drinking water: Is there Lead in my drinking water?

Lead in Toys and Toy Jewelry in Schuyler County

Children can be exposed to lead in the toys and toy jewelry.

Tips for Lead in Toys
Tips for Lead in Toy Jewelry

If you think that your child has been exposed to a toy containing lead, remove the toy immediately. Most children with elevated blood lead levels have no symptoms. The only way to tell is to have a blood lead test. Your health care provider can help you decide whether such a test is needed and can also recommend treatment if your child has been exposed.
Look on the NY State Lead Hazard Product Recalls Website. 
Lead Hazard Product Recalls

Resellers should also check the Resellers Guide to Selling Safer Products to make sure they decrease children's exposure to lead.

Lead in candies and traditional remedies from other countries in Schuyler County

Lead has been found in some consumer candies imported from Mexico. Certain candy ingredients such as chili powder and tamarind may be a source of lead exposure. Lead sometimes gets into the candy when processes such as drying, storing, and grinding the ingredients are done improperly. Also, lead has been found in the wrappers of some imported candies. The ink of these plastic or paper wrappers may contain lead that leaches into the candy.
People selling these candies may not know whether the candy contains lead. You cannot tell by looking at or tasting a candy whether it contains lead. Consuming even small amounts of lead can be harmful. There is no safe blood lead level. Lead poisoning from candies can cause illness.

The only way to tell for sure if there is lead in candies is to test the candy in a laboratory.
Lead from Hobbies or Working conditions in Schuyler County

People exposed to lead at work may bring lead home on their clothes, shoes, hair, or skin.

Some Hobbies that use lead include:
  • making pottery
  • stained glass
  • refinishing furniture
  • hunters (who make their own bullets)
  • fishing tackle

Some Workplaces that expose people to lead include:
  • home improvement
  • painting and refinishing
  • car or radiator repair
  • plumbing construction
  • welding and cutting
  • electronics
  • municipal waste incineration
  • lead compound manufacturing
  • manufacturing of rubber products, batteries, and plastics
  • lead smelting and refining
  • demolition
  • working with scrap metal
Read about Schuyler County Public Health's investigation into work- and hobby-related lead exposures by reading the article, Schuyler County Investigates Lead Risks in Unusual Places, on page 4 of the Winter 2017 issue of In the Field of Environmental Health.

More Resources on Where is Lead in the Environment
Lead Poisoning Prevention Resources from Environmental Protection Agency

Advice on Eating Game

Ammunition: Non-lead or Lead?