Schuyler County Office of Aging Client Complaint & Grievance Procedure
Schuyler County Office for the Aging is committed to providing the highest quality of human services to our community. Client satisfaction is an important result of quality services, and we seek comments and suggestions from our clients about our services and staff. We use your input to help us improve our programs and services.
If you feel you have a serious complaint about an OFA service, a decision that was made about you or your case, or an OFA staff person, and you could not resolve the problem by talking to your OFA contact person; you have the right to file a complaint/grievance with OFA by following the steps below.
Filing a complaint will not prevent you from receiving services if you need them. You can be sure that your complaint will be handled confidentially.
How to file a complaint:
- Call the Office for the Aging at 607-535-7108 or come to the office at 323 Owego Street in Montour Falls, NY. Tell the person answering the phone or the person greeting you at the office about your complaint or ask to speak directly to the OFA Director.
- If the Director is unavailable, ask to have him/her call you. You should receive a return phone call within five (5) working days. If the Director is unavailable, the Director’s Designee will handle the complaint.
- Talk with the Director about your complaint and try to reach a solution to your problem. Many people have found that their complaints can be resolved just by talking about the issue.
- You may be asked to put your complaint in writing. If you need help, an OFA staff member can assist you, or you may have a family member or friend help you.
- If you are able to solve the complaint with the Director, he/she will put the solution in writing for you within five (5) working days. A copy will be sent to you and one will be placed in the OFA’s Complaint File, which is kept in the Director’s office.
- If you do not agree with the solution offered by the Office for the Aging Director, you have the right to request a Grievance or Settlement Hearing. You must submit your request for a hearing in writing to the Office for the Aging Director within 30 days after receiving written notice of the services you have requested or have been receiving.
- If you need help putting your request in writing, Office for the Aging staff will be available to help you by calling 607-535-7108. You have a right to obtain the services of an attorney or other representative of your choice. A representative must have your written authorization to act on your behalf. The Office for the Aging can refer you to appropriate legal or advocacy assistance if needed, however the cost of legal representation is your responsibility. The Office for the Aging may be able to help in arranging transportation to the Hearing or assist with special accommodations by calling 607-535-7108. Written request for a hearing should be sent to:
|Schuyler County Office for the Aging - Director|
323 Owego Street, Unit 7
Montour Falls, NY 14865
- If you do not agree with the results of the Grievance or Settlement Hearing, you have the right to appeal to the NYS Office for the Aging by calling the Senior Citizen Hotline at 1-800-342-9871. You have the right to be assisted in your appeal by an attorney or other representative of your choice.
- If you have any questions or concerns about the grievances/complaint process or Grievance or Settlement Hearing, please contact the Office for the Aging at 607-535-7108.