Schuyler County Youth Court
Youth Court is a voluntary diversion program developed to prevent youth from becoming further involved in the juvenile justice system. The Court is comprised entirely of Youth from around Schuyler County (6th – 11th grade) . They act as the Judges, Bailiff/Clerks and Jury who are overseen by the Program Coordinator (PC). Youth that are accused of an infraction are brought here to be judged and sentenced by their peers.
ADVANTAGES OF YOUTH COURT
- Offender is not sent to Family Court
- Offender is not labeled a Juvenile Delinquent
- Offender is judged by his/her peers
- Offender has the opportunity to learn about the Justice System
- Offender has the opportunity to make restitution through community service for their offense
- Offender does not have to pay court fees
WHO CAN MAKE REFERRALS TO YOUTH COURT?
Law Enforcement, Probation, Court System, Schools, Family Members, Neighbors, Peers
WHO CAN BE REFERRED TO YOUTH COURT?
Youths between the age of 5 and 17 years of age who have committed a Misdemeanor, Violation, or Infraction. Youth Court does not handle felony charges.
EXAMPLES OF CASES HEARD IN YOUTH COURT -
Trespassing, Bullying, Vandalism, Theft, Truancy, Repeated Behavior Problems, Underage Drinking
YOUTH COURT SENTENCING OPTIONS-
Community Service, Essays, Apology Letters, Youth Assistance Program (YAP), Educational Programming