Take control and prepare yourself for emergency threats by planning ahead and following these 3 easy steps!
- Make A Plan
- Discuss your emergency plan needs with your family and write your plan down.
- Plan the quickest and safest escape routes.
- If you are unable to leave, discuss the safest areas in your home to shelter in place.
- Take into consideration accessibility and transportation concerns like wheelchairs or lack of a vehicle.
- Practice your plan and make changes and adjustments as needed.
- Get A Kit
- Assemble a disaster supply kit ahead time for when a disaster does hit.
- Have enough supplies to last 3 days.
- Keep items in your kit up-to-date and stored in a known location.
- Sample items include: food, water, medications and flashlights.
- Know The Threats
- Know the risks to your community.
- Risks can be both natural (flooding and snow storms) or caused by humans (toxic spills and car accidents).
- Sign up for your local alert and notification systems. You can sign up to receive emergency alerts and information by phone, email, text, or fax by signing up at https://alert.ny.gov/. If you have a smartphone, you can download the Ping4Alerts! App to get timely public safety alerts from the Schuyler County Office of Emergency Management.
- Ensure that your plans will work for any of the possible threats to your community.
For examples of what you should include in your kit and more tips on how to be prepared for emergencies visit: https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies.html.