What is lead poisoning?
When lead is swallowed or breathed in, it can harm almost every system of the body. It is especially dangerous for young children. Even low levels of exposure over time can cause learning and growth problems. High levels of exposure can lead to seizures, coma, and even death.
What are the main sources of lead poisoning?
Children are often exposed to lead from paint in homes built before 1978, especially during renovation projects that don’t follow lead safe work practices.
How can you help?
Lead poisoning is dangerous, and it is still a concern today. The good news – it’s preventable! If you are a contractor, landlord, or property owner/manager, sign up for the training below. You can learn more about how to prevent lead poisoning in your community. Call Yates County Public Health for more information or to register for this free training: 315-536-5160.